A Guide To Paying For Care Homes - Lovett Care

A Guide To Paying For Care Homes

Whether it’s yourself or a loved one that is moving into residential care, it can be a concerning time, particularly when fees are mentioned. There are two primary methods of funding a move to a residential care home, these are self-funded and state-funded. Here in the UK, around half of the population in care homes fall into each category.

Self-Funded Care

Self-funded care relies on the individual having the means to fund their own care. This can be from savings, selling their property, or investing their property in a high-interest account.
As of 2022, if your assets total a value in excess of £23,250 (£50,000 if in Wales), you will be required to self-fund your care. They will then be reassessed to see if you still have viable funds before being considered for state funding.
If a person falls above this bracket, or they wish to self-fund, there are two ways that this is done. Firstly, if the individual is paying partial fees (with the remaining council-funded) the council will pay their fees, then collect the balance due from the individual.
If the individual is paying the total balance of the fee themselves, they can pay this directly to the home. Alternatively, many councils offer a service whereby they pay the total fees to the home, and the individual pays the council. However, it is worth noting that some councils will charge for this service, therefore we advise that you check with your local council for specific guidance.

State-Funded Care

State-funded care is available across the UK, however, it will vary and is dependent on where a person lives in the UK, such as England or Wales. The funding that an individual may be entitled to will also depend on the value of their savings, property and investments.
If a person has under £23,250 (£50,00 if in Wales), they are eligible for assistance with fees. If their capital (savings plus property) is greater than £14,250 but still under the top bracket, they will be means-tested. This means their income (such as pensions) and capital will be calculated and they will pay a tariff, while the council pays the remaining cost of the fees.
Once you are below £14,250, an individual will no longer be paying a tariff, however, will still pay a contribution from their income.

What Happens When State Funding Is Not Enough

There are a number of areas whereby state funding may not cover the complete cost of a person’s residential care in their chosen home. Where this is the case, they will still have the option to move into their chosen home and self-fund the remaining balance. This will usually require the assistance of the family, as savings will have been taken into account by the council.

Nursing Care

Where an individual’s needs are primarily health-based, the NHS will arrange and pay for their care under NHS continuing healthcare (NHS CHC). If a person is eligible for NHS CHC, their care home placement will be free, however, it will be limited by the homes that can meet that individual’s requirements. When assessing a person’s needs, the council will refer that individual to the NHS if they may be eligible for NHS CHC.
In some instances, a person may not meet the criteria for their full care to be funded by NHS CHC, but still require nursing care. When this is the case, the NHS will pay a contribution towards the cost of the nursing care directly to the nursing home known as NHS-funded care (NHS FNC).

Your Chosen Care Home

Here at Lovett Care, we have care homes across England and Wales. If you have chosen a particular home, local to yourselves, we would ask that you contact that home directly to discuss the methods of payment that they accept. Many of our homes offer the option of both state and self-funding, however, not all local councils will cover all of the fees.
If you are looking at a home that accepts state funding, you will then need to contact your local council to discuss the funding that is available in the area and that you would be entitled to.

For more information regarding care home fees, please contact us at Lovett Care and we will put you in touch with a member of our team who will be happy to guide you through the process.


What Are The Different Types of Care?

At Lovett Care, we provide a number of services in our eight care homes situated from the English Midlands

We Have Been Invited To Tea At The House of Lords

Lovett Care is proud to announce that Andrew Nash, our Group Hospitality and Catering Manager, has been invited to

Lovett’s SLT has been nominated for the Care Employer Award

Lovett Care is extremely happy to announce that our Senior Leadership Team have been nominated for the Care Employer



    The Rhallt – Housekeeping Assistant
    Housekeeping Assistant

    Job Purpose: To provide cleaning and/or laundry services within the home in accordance with agreed standards, legislative requirements, relevant